Wednesday, October 10, 2007

You've Got To Hear Happy Rhodes

In 2000 my brother introduced me to a musician/singer/songwriter who just blew me away. Her name was Happy Rhodes, and my brother had given me her last album, Many Worlds Are Born Tonight (1998). It was her tenth, and, in my opinion, her crowning achievement. Her dumbfounding vocals, emotive delivery and complex, electronically organic music easily placed her in my top five favorite artists of the 90s. I since came to own nearly all of her works.

It's been nine years since the release of that album. Finally, album number eleven is complete. Entitled Find Me, it's one of the releases I've been anticipating the most. I even bought the Find Me MP3 sampler a couple years ago, which contained early working versions of seven tracks from the upcoming album. As a completely independent artist, this is one of the ways Happy funded the project. The songs were great--and I can't wait to hear what they sound like after two more years of work.

If you want a small taste of Happy's music and incredible vocal talent, head to YouTube and check her out. It's not the same as her studio stuff, but still a good showcase. Head to her website for the latest news.

Here's a sample from Many Worlds Are Born Tonight.

No comments: