Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Hope the Writers' Strike Lasts

The Internet is simply abuzz with sympathy for the poor underserved, underappreciated Writers Guild. In fact, today many blogs will "go dark" as a show of support--replacing their regular content with WGA solidarity statements.

As I'm not part of the Writers Guild, I really don't care what happens to them. There's no TV show or movie I can't do without. I felt much the same way about last month's impending Michigan government shutdown. It's not like I get much from it anyway.

Come to think of it, maybe a decline in quality TV programming will compel more families to spend evenings together away from the tube. So to that end, I too fully support the writers in their strike. If we're lucky, it will last long enough to trim some of the Hollywood fat, and force people like Julia Roberts to settle for less than a $40 million take from a money-losing movie.

At the very least it may distract them from their environmental and political wacktivism.

No comments: